Re: GPL compatibility of DFCL

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:20:20PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> It does seem to be in line with RMS's statement that for a program to be
> GPL-compatible, you need to be able to release a modified version of it
> under the GPL.  This wouldn't allow that.

Wrong.

All you have to do is make enough of a modification to earn copyright
protection on it.  You license that under the GPL.  The license on the
original work is GPL-compatible if it permits itself to be distributed as
part of a GPLed work (which is what my initial approach to the
endorsements clause was doing).

You are arguing for the ability to literally change the license on a
work *without changing it* from the perspective of copyright law.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an