Re: GPL compatibility of DFCL

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:25:21PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > I don't have a problem with an endorsements clause (or, as seems to be more
> > important here, the "lack of endorsement" clause).  I'd have a problem with
> > content that, when pulled out of a GPL'd work, would suddenly have additional
> > restrictions over those of the GPL, like needing to restore a different
> > license.
>
> This would be a valid criticism, except that you are already required to
> honor the original license on all other works that are incorporated into
> others and later stripped out.

But in all others I know of, the other licenses are less restrictive
than the GPL.

The endorsements clause isn't a big deal; I'm more concerned with what
this would mean with less well-intentioned licenses.

Branden suggested this in [🔎] 20020614174209.GC15493@deadbeast.net, I think:
what if a piece of code was under these types of terms, and when removed,
instead of reverting to less restrictive terms than the GPL (as programs
normally do), reverted to a proprietary license?

Of course, my intuition goes "if a piece of data is GPL'd, I should be
able to do anything the GPL allows to it or any subsection of it; if the
license doesn't permit this, it's not really GPL'd, so the code is GPL-
incompatible."  Unfortunately, IP law isn't my field, and my intuition
is wrong.

It does seem to be in line with RMS's statement that for a program to be
GPL-compatible, you need to be able to release a modified version of it
under the GPL.  This wouldn't allow that.  He was probably oversimplifying,
but I'm not sure, which is why I'd like their opinion on this.  (But I'd
rather not be the one to ask; I'm likely to misstate the question.)

The idea that I might someday see code (or content) that is free, with
portions that become unfree on their own, is strange, at least, so
you'll have to excuse me if I have to wrestle with it for a while. :)

--
Glenn Maynard