Re: cdrdao license issues show that cdrtools package is non DFSG, too?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:04:11PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> | This software is under GPL with the following limitations:

This alone reminds me of this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200205/msg00062.html

In short (as I understand it), placing software under the GPL with
additional restrictions simply doesn't work.

Are there any more succinct explanations of this?  This problem comes up
often, and I don't like pointing people at that particular post as an
explanation (much of it being CUPS-specific, and the dual-licensing stuff
will confuse people).  I can't find anything about this in the GPL FAQ.

--
Glenn Maynard