Re: cdrdao license issues show that cdrtools package is non DFSG, too?

Scripsit Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>

> cdrecord has this:
> |-----------------------------
> | This software is under GPL with the following limitations:

> | -       You may not modify certain copyright messages in cdrecord.c
> |         See cdrecord.c for further information.

That appears to be fair game.

> | -       You may (with a few exceptions) not modify the location of the
> |         configuration file /etc/default/cdrecord.

That smells of functional restriction. Unless the "furter information"
referenced mitigates this impression, this will be non-free in and of
itself.

> | -       The fact that cdrecord is linked against libedc_ecc does not
> |         make libedc_ecc licensed under GPL. Section 2 of the GPL does
> |         not apply in this special case.

This is very confused writing. Apparently the cdrecord author has
tried to follow Eißfeld's fudful instructions about GPL without
actually checking what the GPL says in its section 2.

<http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=213313> implies that
a free (partial?) replacement for libedc_ecc is being worked on.
One may hope that it can be plugged into cdrecode as well.

Warning: the "andreasm" behind the sourceforge notice seems to be
different from the Andreas Metzler in this thread.

> |         If you create a work derived from cdrecord, you may not ship
> |         this derived work with libedc_ecc.

Conflicts with the second half DFSG #3 and/or DFSG #9. This clause
will have to go even if a replacement for libedc_ecc is found/made.

--
Henning Makholm                         "You want to know where my brain is,
                                    spetsnaz girl? Do you? Look behind you."