Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> From: tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Date: 07 Aug 2002 15:34:43 -0700

> Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> writes:
>
> > TeX and LaTeX are not just great programs. They are also document
> > exchange programs. I need to know that TeX on my installation is the
> > same as TeX on the e-print server or on my publisher's machine.
>
> Sure!
>
> But why do you need that the TeX that John Doe uses is the same as
> yours?

We already discussed this. Because this is the goal of TeX. That is
why TeX uses scaled point for calculations. The aim is to have exactly
same output on same machines.

> Why do you need to insist that if John Doe and Jane Froe exchange a
> document, and call it "tex format", that they must be legally
> obligated to be using the same exchange mechanism as you?

I do not need this. I do not need any restriction on John User. I need
a restriction on *you*, or rather, Jack Distributor. Namely, I need
the restriction for Jack Distributor to distribute a "slightly
incompatible" TeX *and* call it TeX to unsuspecting John. I have no
qualms if Jack distributes unTeX, newTeX or e-TeX (the latter, by the
way, *is* distributed and is installed on my machine). I just want
John to be able to know what he is getting.

--
Good luck

-Boris

Beware the new TTY code!