Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:40:14 +0100
> From: Andrew Suffield <aps100@doc.ic.ac.uk>

> >=20
> > I am afraid you cannot do this: since TeX is trademarked, you cannot
> > substitute a new font for it without violating trademark.=20
>
> So the package name gets changed, and a couple lines gets added to the
> description. Boo hoo. Trivial and irrelevant.

I'm afraid it is more than that. We already discussed this issue.

TeX and LaTeX are not just great programs. They are also document
exchange programs. I need to know that TeX on my installation is the
same as TeX on the e-print server or on my publisher's machine.

Of course, Debian is free to distribute its own freeTeX instead of
Knuthian TeX under, say, GPL. I doubt it would be a wise move,
however: it would be useless for most TeX users precisely because
there will be no guarantee of exact compatibility.

--
Good luck

-Boris

A sense of humor keen enough to show a man his own absurdities will keep
him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those that are
worth committing.
		-- Samuel Butler