Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:28:37PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > However, no one is required to archive old versions of software as long
> > as they contemporaenously distribute binaries with corresponding source.
> >
> > I.e., the scenario you describe can happen even with the GNU GPL.
>
> If they are not distributing the sources contemporaneously, but instead
> making the written offer, does the source provided on taking up the offer
> have to be for the binary they have, or can it be for the "current" version?

I would say it has to be for the version corresponding to the hardcopy,
just as the GPL requires.  I don't think this is an economically
infeasible requirement.  It's part of the responsibility of
distributing.

Consider how major newspapers are distributed nationwide in the U.S.
(and probably lots of other places).  The New York Times doesn't ship
copies of its paper to Indianapolis every day.  That would be ruinously
expensive and too slow to be useful for a daily newspaper.  You'd either
be out of date, pay a shitload for high-speed, high-volume courier
service, or your press deadlines would be so early they'd be a joke.
Instead, the newspaper's contents are digitally transmitted, printed
closer to market, and delivered within the city to various outlets
(maybe even residences, in some cases).

I can see bookstores transitioning to this model, or something similar
someday.  I think there are already bookstores where you can buy a
printout that is generated on demand.

> In the case of documents, it is less likely that sources will be distributed
> with (e.g. paper) copies of the work, so this becomes more important - there
> is not only the case of the deliberate license-avoider to consider, but
> that of the prof. who revs his document each term and hasn't heard of CVS.

If it's the professor's document and he holds the copyright, the DFCL
isn't binding on him.  He's the author.  He has monopoly rights on the
work.  He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to.  The DFCL
applies to those to whom he chooses.

If it's not the professor's document -- if he got it from someplace
else, or his university claims copyright on every thought that escapes
his head onto the printed page, then he's already going to have to deal
with bureaucracy, and may not be at liberty to license the paper under
the DFCL anyway.  If he does, the university will likely provide him
with the technology to do version control, and/or mandate that the use
it to protect "their" economic interest.  In both of these cases he's a
licensee just like anyone else.

> Thoughts?

Yup.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    A committee is a life form with six
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    or more legs and no brain.