Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 12:41:32PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> How about requiring that a URL from which the source of the document is
> available be included in printed forms of the document?

I want to cast the terms more broadly than that, since technology
changes and while it looks like the Web will be with us for a good long
time, we need to draft our license for the ages in the event that the
Mickey Mouse^W^WSonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act is not repealed
in the U.S.

95 years is a long, long time.

> And some kind of specification to prevent "oh, this is the latest version
> of the document; we cut it down from being a book to just being a reference
> card..." having distributed the book.

Uh, the DFCL will give people permission to excise as much material
content as they want (as opposed to license content -- the copyright
notice(s), license(s), and endorsement(s)).  If you can't yank out what
you don't want, it's not Free.  See DFSG 3.

Or you do you mean that we want to prevent someone passing out paper copies of
the GNU Emacs Manual, but only making the source to the Quick Reference
Card available on the Web?  As long as we retain GPL-style
"corresponding source code" language, that type of misbehavior will be
prohibited.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You don't just decide to break
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Kubrick's code of silence and then