Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:37:31AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I want to cast the terms more broadly than that, since technology
> changes and while it looks like the Web will be with us for a good long
> time, we need to draft our license for the ages in the event that the
> Mickey Mouse^W^WSonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act is not repealed
> in the U.S.

Good... it was just quicker to write "URL" than to try to explain it in
appropriate terms.

> > And some kind of specification to prevent "oh, this is the latest version
> > of the document; we cut it down from being a book to just being a reference
> > card..." having distributed the book.

> Or you do you mean that we want to prevent someone passing out paper copies of
> the GNU Emacs Manual, but only making the source to the Quick Reference
> Card available on the Web?  As long as we retain GPL-style
> "corresponding source code" language, that type of misbehavior will be
> prohibited.

Yes... so if you've printed/released version 2.7183 of a document (of which
I released version 1 under this new license), and version 2.7183 is a
book, you can not then rev rapidly to version 3.1416, by which point you
have progressively removed content to the point where only a reference card
remains, leaving only the sources for the latest version available.

I should rewrite that sentence, but I won't.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You're working under a slight handicap.  You happen to be human.