Re: a52dec - shared version

[I'm cc:ing -legal as some advice re dolby reactions from
law-enlightened people would be nice.  Please cc me, I'm not on
-legal.]

Zdenek Kabelac writes:
 > >  > package the current version as shared version -
 > >
 > > It's more that I don't want to do it as long as upstream says "it's
 > > not ready for that" (see my last message to bug 125951)
 >
 > Well you should rather try to fulfill Debians users/developers needs :)

Just don't want to buy me a lot of extra trouble with little gain.
But hang on, I might be close to convinced.  Not much use to put it in
woody though.  And no time.

 > >  > it might be consider as a 'law' problem (I'm even surpriced that
 > >  > a52 library is 'officialy' in the Debian as AC3 decoding library)
 > >
 > > Hm, this law thing might be a good enough reason.  Could you explain
 > > further?  Or give some pointer?  Might be good to cc debian-legal for
 > > this.
 >
 > Sure just check avifile's doc
 >
 > enjoy as much as me :) :
 >
 > http://www.netbsd.org/Letters/20010803-dolby.html

Sounds nasty.  Do you know what has happened?  I see ac3 is still in
the ports system, along with liba52

/Micce

--
Mikael Hedin, MSc                   +46 (0)980 79176
Swedish Institute of Space Physics  +46 (0)8 344979 (home)

Vad skall du med bil och villa
När du mår så jävla illa
     Peps Persson '75

Noriega North Korea Uzi Khaddafi Monica Lewinsky NWO Saddam Hussein
supercomputer militia Janet Reno FBI David John Oates DES JFK Kibo