Re: Crypto++ licencing

Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 11:52:58AM +0200, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > Stephen Zander wrote:
> > > I don't believe the US will ever stop supporting softare patents;
> > > there's too much money at stake.
> >
> > By the same reasoning, the EC member states should also all
> > support software patents. The European industry also has a
> > lot of money at stake in software-related R&D (all the
> > software in DVD players and mobile phones, for example).
>
> Software patents is the biggest threat for free software and we should
> *never* support them.

Keep in mind that I was responding to Stephen's comment that
the US wouldn't get rid of software patents because of their
economic importance. The exact same argument can be made
for the European countries. I'm not saying the argument is
right.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure this is the right place to debate
patent policy. I don't think Debian should worry too much,
unless they receive notification from a patent holder
identifying a patent and a program that infringes.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, (almost) Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
Patents, copyright and IPR explained for techies:  http://www.iusmentis.com/