Re: Crypto++ licencing

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> wrote:

> Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to -legal...
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the following licence?  Specificall,
> is the comment about placing code in the public domain (point 2)
> restrictive in the DFSG sense and do the potential patent issues
> (point 6) require anything other that uploading to non-US?

It is probably fine.  The comment about public domain is only if you
provide the changes to Wei Kai.  No one is obligated to do so.
Requiring things to be in the public domain is, in any case, similar
to what the GPL requires.  I'm not sure if it is enforceable, though.

The patent issue is not a problem specific to the license.  Rather, it
depends on what algorithms are implemented.  What algorithms are used?
A usual suspect is IDEA, which is patented in many countries.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu