RE: FWD: Analog licence violates DFSG

IMHO the problems with legality clauses in contracts can be summarized in
several points:
(Disclaimer - this isn't legal advice, get yer own durn lawyer, yadda yadda
yadda.  See below.)

1. Not all countries adhere to the common law (mostly just the UK & its
former colonies, like US, Canada, Australia, etc.).  I do not know enough
about civil law jurisdictions to make a definitive statement about their
contract laws.  But I would guess the voidness or voidability of a contract
on grounds of illegality or impossibility cannot be taken for granted in all
such jurisdictions.  Note also the distinction between "void" and
"voidable" - void is always unenforceable, whereas voidable is binding on
both parties until one takes legal action to void it - jurisdictions might
vary on which applies under what circumstances.  Then there are the
equitable doctrines like "estoppel," "laches" and "unclean hands" which
might also overturn perfectly "legal" contracts....

2. Most of these clauses do not mention a specific jurisdiction's laws -
thus they could be construed as void for vagueness (and if you don't have a
severability clause - then the whole contract could be voided).
Alternately, those that do invoke a specific jurisdiction's laws, could be
judged as inapplicable or unenforceable in another jurisdiction's courts.
Do you really think (for example) China, Iraq or Libya cares how a Virginia
state court would interpret UCITA (assuming they even care about UCITA at
all)?

3. Choice of law and choice of venue often get confused in these clauses (I
believe another poster in the thread already covered this fairly well).
Basically - choice of venue is hazardous at best.  Choice of law should be
what we are discussing here.

4. There has also been some discussion about the differences (if any)
between contracts and licenses in past threads.  I would only add that most
"free as in beer" licenses could conceivably be attacked under a "lack of
consideration" theory (what does the author get in return for your use of
the code? "egoboo" isn't a currency) - basically rendering the code as no
more than a gift, or entering the public domain.  Of course, lack of
consideration is a pretty rare & difficult defense nowadays in the U.S., but
again, other jurisdictions might vary....

5. Even if everything you say is correct, then basically such clauses are
superflous, since local laws, treaties, etc. will already govern the
contract.  Excess verbiage in a contract is usually to be avoided (unless
you are the lawyer getting paid by the hour or the word ;-P ).

BTW, IWALBIGIU (I was a lawyer but I gave it up).  Currently on "inactive"
status - State Bar of Texas. (Yes it was voluntary, not for disciplinary
reasons or anything).  Not Board Certified by the Texas State Board of Legal
Specialization. (They made me say that.)  Caveat lector.  ;-)

--
Eric R. Sherrill, WF Software Systems Engineer
Texas Instruments HFAB1 Automation Systems