Re: FWD: Analog licence violates DFSG

This has always been a stone in my craw: why should a "keep it
legal" clause make it non DFSG free?  Contracts (licensing
agreements) may not cover illegal actions: a contract to perform an arson
is null and void regardless of the wording of the contract.  So logically,
a contract that has a "keep it legal" clause is simply making explicit
what is already implicit in most every jurisdiction: the common law
idea that illegal actions void contracts.  Logically, if a "keep it
legal" clause makes a license non DFSG free, under common law NO license
is DFSG free, since all contracts are voided once the law is broken.  In
Henning's hypothetical, if the free country that the person escaped to
was a common law nation, the license was voided during the illegal act, so
they're up for copyright infringement no matter what (whether the
copyright holders know this or would do anything about this is another
matter).  This is one of the few places where the DFSG fails the sanity
test, and the worst part about it is that there is nothing explicitly in
the DFSG that is the offender, just an interpretation.  Either the DFSG is
overbroad or we should really do a stricter parsing of the DFSG.

--

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the