Re: wxWindows licence

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 06:03:15PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:25:47AM +0930, Ron wrote:
> > could someone please confirm that this licence is in fact DFSG free.
> > (Or explain why it's not so I can lean on the upstream authors :-)
>
> The license itself DFSG free: It's the GPL (which is DFSG free) plus
> some extra permissions.  The extra permissions look like they're well
> thought out, with respect to how they interact with the GPL -- and you
> have the option of tossing them if you don't like them.

LGPL.

> Binaries under this license would be DFSG free if the wxWindows Library
> License is DFSG free, and if every other license, needed to build the
> binaries, was no more restrictive than the GPL.

So it doesn't matter what other licenses are linked with it, as long as
it comes as source (which it does.) "needed to build the binaries" is
incorrect in any place - GPL'ed Delphi code can (and I believe does) exist
and is not unfree because it needs Delphi to build.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.net.dhis.org