Re: [Talin@ACM.org: Suggestions for wording...?]

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 10:20:30PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 10:38:01AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > > Here is the language I came up with:
> > > ----
> > > A special exception to the GPL listed below is that this
> > > program may be linked with any libraries or components that are
> > > distributed under a license that meets the Open Source Definition
> > > (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html), and that such components
> > > shall be considered seperate works, not covered under the terms
> > > of this license.
> > > ----
> > > However, I'm not sure that this language is legally sound. Please help
> > > me debug it.
>
> You should add language that explicitly allows anyone to revert to plain
> GPL (to allow adding code from your project to plain-GPL projects).
> See the Guile exception clause for an example.

I don't know the Guile license, but this is the exeption that GNU Classpath
project uses to allow linking with anything not GPLed. (All Classpath code
is copyrighted by the FSF.) I expect that the Guile license is almost the
same. Note that this exception does not apply if any other GPLed code is
added (then it reverts to plain GPL).

	GNU Classpath is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
    any later version.
	[... No Warranty, ..., You should have received a copy of the GPL ...]
    As a special exception, if you link this library with other files to
    produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause the
    resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
    This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the
    executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

Cheers,

Mark