Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

Raul Miller wrote:
> And, since your entire rant seems to be based on the idea that laws
> are being broken, I think it's up to you to come up with the
> details.

I agree.  I will try e-mailing him.  The message is at the bottom.
I sent it a few seconds ago.

Paul Serice

Subject: Wired Interview Admission

I'm a Debian developer and I recently listened to your interview by
Wired at

      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,35143,00.html

In the third part at 2:05 in the track, the conversation turns from
piracy to redistribution of music.

      Q: What do you think of people who love music sharing files with
      their neighbors?

      A: I do that.  I do that.  I'll let anybody borrow and copy my
      records and tapes.  I love music, and therefore, I loathe the
      music industry.

I started a thread basically insisting that by violating the
copyrights of others you are significantly dampening your moral
authority to insist that the rest of the world obey the GPL copyright.

I also feel that this means that the GPL is not about the freedom of
authors to decide what is done with their work.  Apparently, it is
about the community freely reaping the benefits of the work?

If you can spare the time, say it ain't so.  Say that you didn't
redistribute material knowing that such redistribution violated the
copyright of others?

If you reply, please indicate whether I can post the reply to the
debian-legal mailing list.

Thank You,
Paul Serice