Re: "Open Source" Motif

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 04:48:25AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 02:32:21PM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Due to the fact that the GPL is according to RMS incompatible to anything
> > except itself
>
> That is blatantly false, and I find it hard to believe RMS would have
> uttered any such statement.
>
> The MIT/X Consortium and 3-clause BSD licenses are examples of licenses
> that are perfectly GPL-compatible.  Not to mention the LGPL.

Yeah, they are compatible in a sense that you can incorporte BSD-licensed
code into the GPL'd code and distribute it under the GPL license.

But you cannot take GPL'd code, incorporate it into the BSD-licensed code
and distribute it under the BSD license.

Very friendly compatibility.

Thanks,

Alex Y.
--