Examples for non-freeness (Was: Re: AT&T source licence?)

    David> On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 04:00:21PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

    >> > We have discussed it before.

    >> A list of non-free licences, as well as the reasons they are
    >> non-free could be useful. rms would certainly blame us to
    >> advertise non-freeness, but it could be useful.

    David> The non-free world doesn't seem to use the same few
    David> licenses over and over like the free world does. So I don't
    David> think listing the licenses would be that useful. And why
    David> they are non-free - look at the DFSG. It's pretty clear. It
    David> could possibly use some unofficial annotations about some
    David> of the ramifications of the clauses - obeying US law is the
    David> only one that comes to mind of the top of my head.

I think I agree with Stephane... a list of examples of non-free
licenses, with explanations on why we consider them non-free *would*
be useful.

It needn't even be complete licenses... just the important clauses
that make them non-free.

I think it would help to understand exactly *what* can cause
non-freeness (yes, it sounds like an illness... well, it *is* ;-)

BTW, this also means I agree with you, David... whether we see it from
the DFSG or from the license is the only point where we'd do things
differently (I took your "ramifications of the clauses" meaning
"clauses of the DFSG".  Now, if you meant "clauses of a particular
license", then we are in full agreement).

With such a list (no, I'm not volunteering right now ;-}), we could
simply point to "See example 4b on the non-free examples list" instead
of "We have discussed this before" ;-)

Or something like that... I need some caffeine ;-)

Bye, J

- --
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html
              GNOME Desktop Project (http://www.gnome.org)
   "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."  -- Bruce Schneier