Re: QPL quick check

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> Scripsit Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>
>
> > I'd put it this way: you need to put a statement in the copyright file
> > that shows that we have proper permission.  Something like this, maybe:
>
> >    In addition to the permissions granted in the GPL, it's legal to
> >    distribute working copies of this program which have been linked
> >    against Qt.
>
> That is not good; it means that the distributor does not have to
> abide by the rest of the GPL's restriction, as long as the copies
> distributed have been linked against Qt.
>
> Don't we have a canonical exception statement somewhere in the list
> archives?

>From http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html:

However, if you have written a program that uses Qt, and you want to release
your program under the GNU GPL, you can easily do that. You can resolve the
conflict for your program by adding a notice like this to it:

       As a special exception, you have permission to link this program
       with the Qt library and distribute executables, as long as you
       follow the requirements of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the
       software in the executable aside from Qt.

You can do this, legally, if you are the copyright holder for the program. Add
it in the source files, after the notice that says the program is covered by
the GNU GPL.

Marc van Leeuwen