Re: Copyright lawyers analysis of Andreas Pour's Interpretation

Scripsit Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:02:59AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Excellent. Then at least we know where we disagree.
>
> Other people, including me, use another definition:
>
>    "The complete source code for a binary consists of whatever
>    is necessary for the recipient to recreate the binary with
>    modifications of his own."
>
> where "binary" means the "object code or executable form" that GPL.3
> allows me to copy and distribute under certain terms.

Are you claiming that this binary is something that can be executed,
or not?

> With such differing definitions, it is no wonder that we reach
> different conclusions.

The GPL doesn't even use the term "binary" as a noun.  It seems to
me that all you've done is introduce a new term, which you can define
however you please.

However, from context, it looks as if you mean "binary" to mean "file"
and not "program".

--
Raul