Re: x3270 licenses

Scripsit Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 12:55:53PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > > Use is covered by the Fair Use provision of Copyright
> > > law.  The fonts are free.

> > Is this the n+1th abuse of Fair Use, or do you actually have some
> > arguments supporting that claim?

> You have a copy of the program.
> You want to tell me you now need special permission to run it?

I don't think your analogy holds. Remember that we're talking about
fonts. In this case "use" entails reproducing the artistic contents
of the font, that is, the lettershapes - so IMO use of a font must
be considered form of copying.

This again means that the original claim that use of fonts are
fair use is wrong, IMO. On the other hand, in the situation at
hand there is a blanket permission to distribute the font; that
must also cover the special kind of distribution that consist
of using the font to typeset a document.

--
Henning Makholm          "Gå ud i solen eller regnen, smil, køb en ny trøje,
                   slå en sludder af med købmanden, puds dine støvler. Lev!"