Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:56:07 -0500 Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> In my opinion, the biggest conflict isn't 6c (though 6c could be a
> problem to someone doing a local distribution in a "third-world" country).
>
> The biggest conflict is the combination of 3b and 4c.  3b says that Qt
> is proprietary to Troll (they own the code and can re-release it under
> any license whatsoever).  4c makes 3b a restriction on distribution.

Just a tiny precision to avoid any confusion. As almost everybody except
Andreas Pour seems to agree, the condition in GPL 2b that every part of the
"complete sources" be "licensed.. to all third parties under the terms of this
License" means that third parties should have all permissions given by the GPL
with respect to them, not that they couldn't possibly also have more or
broader permissions. Similarly QPL section 4c:

4. You may distribute machine-executable... provided that:

     c. You must ensure that all modifications included in the
     machine-executable forms are available under the terms of this license.

only says that you may not deny any of QPL's permissions when distributing
executables. The fact that you may not grant any additional permissions either
(e.g., by removing restriction 3b on modifications) is simply a consequence of
the fact that as Troll owns copyright on the executables, you cannot lift the
conditions they place on distributing them. So 3b alone gives your conflict.

Marc van Leeuwen
Universite de Poitiers