Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

Montreal Fri May 28 17:09:01 1999

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Ivan writes:
> > Debian just lives by the CYA policy. :) I don't know about the others.
> > They probably follow the same thoughts as everyone else.
>
> Or the advice of their attorneys.
>
> Lawyer to Red Hat exec: "If we include that package there is a small risk
> that we will be forced to destroy all the unsold CD's containing it.  We
> would not have to pay any damages."
>
> Red Hat exec: "We can live with that."

Red Hat is of course simply distributing vanilla KDE packages.  Their
KDE distribution is even pretty incomplete by several reports.
Clearly GNOME is the main desktop for Red Hat, KDE is just there as an
afterthought.

On the other hand, some companies actually do seem to be betting a lot
on the K Desktop (and who can blame them, a 1.0 version number does
not a stable desktop make).  I'd imagine if the lawyers had found a
legal problem, they wouldn't be going so full steam ahead as they are.
Then again, they probably have plenty of failsafes (like
UI-independent code).

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of