GCC M3 frontend (was Re: Corel's apt frontend)

Richard Stallman writes:
> What front-end is this?  I know nothing about it as yet.
>
> If the GPL is being violated for GCC, the FSF needs to take action.
> But we need to know the facts first.
> Would someone please send me a description of the situation?

As I understand it, DEC SRC (now part of Compaq of course) released a
Modula-3 frontend which uses GCC as a backend, with some kind of funny
licence.  I know about it because apparently the Cambridge computer
lab did some further work on it:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/m3doc/linux/cambridge.html
 http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/modula-3/html/home.html

The DEC SRC copyright is not GPL-compatible but appears to be intended
to be at least somewhat free.  Persuading them to GPL it might be
possible.  I enclose a copy.

My apologies for assuming you (RMS) knew about this and not telling
you about it.

Ian.

                     Digital License Agreement

                          SRC Modula-3

 1. Grant Of License.  Digital Equipment Corporation, having a principal
    office at 146 Main Street, Maynard, MA 01754 ("DIGITAL") grants to
    you ("LICENSEE") the non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty free
    right to use, modify, reproduce and distribute SRC Modula-3 ("SOFTWARE")
    subject to the terms set forth herein.  Any distribution of SOFTWARE
    shall include this Digital License Agreement in human readable form.

 2. Title to Intellectual Property and Software.  Subject to the limited
    rights and licenses granted under this License Agreement, all rights,
    title and interests including patent, copyright, and trademark rights
    in SOFTWARE are and shall remain vested in DIGITAL to the exclusion
    of LICENSEE.  DIGITAL represents and warrants that DIGITAL has the
    legal right to grant such licenses as are expressly granted under
    this Agreement.

 3. Copyright.  The SOFTWARE is owned by DIGITAL or its suppliers and is
    protected by United States copyright laws and international treaty
    provisions.  Therefore, you must treat the SOFTWARE like any other
    copyrighted material (e.g., a book or musical recording) except
    that you may use the SOFTWARE as provided in this Digital License
    Agreement.

 4. Improvements.  LICENSEE hereby grants to DIGITAL a non-exclusive,
    non-transferable, royalty free right to use, modify, reproduce
    and distribute with the right to sublicense at any tier, any
    improvements, enhancements, extensions, or modifications that
    LICENSEE make to SOFTWARE, provided such are returned to DIGITAL
    by LICENSEE.

 5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY.  Because the SOFTWARE is a research work and
    not a released product, it is provided "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
    KIND AND WITHOUT ANY SUPPORT SERVICES.  EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED
    ABOVE IN SECTION 2, DIGITAL FURTHER DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF
    THE SOFTWARE REMAINS WITH YOU.

 6. Limitation of Liability.  IN NO EVENT SHALL DIGITAL OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE
    LIABLE IN AN AMOUNT THAT EXCEEDS THE LICENSE FEE PAID BY LICENSEE FOR
    ANY DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITH LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS
    PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR OTHER
    PECUNIARY LOSS), REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF CLAIM OR ACTIONS, ARISING
    OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION,
    EVEN IF DIGITAL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT
    APPLY TO YOU.

 7. Acknowledgement of Allocation of Risk.  LICENSEE acknowledges and agrees
    that the fees charged by DIGITAL in this Agreement reflect the allocation
    of risks provided by the foregoing limitation of liability.  LICENSEE
    acknowledges and represents that it has read and understands these
    allocations of risk limiting the liability of DIGITAL and that it
    understands that a modification of the allocation of risks set forth
    in this agreement would affect the fees charged by DIGITAL, and that
    LICENSEE, in consideration of such fees, agrees to such allocations
    of risk.

 8. LICENSEE INDEMNIFICATION.  LICENSEE SHALL INDEMNIFY DIGITAL AGAINST
    ALL COSTS AND DAMAGE JUDGEMENTS, INCLUDING ATTORNEY'S FEES AND COSTS
    OF DEFENSE, INCURRED BECAUSE OF CLAIMS OF DAMAGE ARISING FROM LICENSEE'S
    POSSESSION OR USE OR INABILITY TO USE SOFTWARE.

 9. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS.  The SOFTWARE and documentation are provided
    with RESTRICTED RIGHTS.  Use duplication, or disclosure by the Government
    is subject restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of The
    Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause in DFARS
    252.227-7013, or subparagraphs (c)(i) and (2) of the Commercial Computer
    Software -- Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable.
    Manufacturer is Digital Equipment Corporation, 130 Lytton Avenue,
    Palo Alto, CA 94301-1044.

10. Severability.  If any provision of the Agreement is held illegal or
    unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, such provision
    shall be deemed separable from the remaining provisions of this Agreement
    and shall not affect or impair the validity or enforceability of the
    remaining provisions of this Agreement.

11. Governing Law.  This Agreement is governed by the laws of the
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

12. Publicity.  You my not use the name of DIGITAL in any advertisement,
    press release or other publicity with reference to SRC Modula-3
    without prior written consent of DIGITAL.

13. Should you have any questions concerning this Agreement, or if you
    desire to contact Digital for any reason, please do so via E-mail:
    M3-REQUEST@SRC.DEC.COM.