Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 09:33:36PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> Probably no more than tar ceases to function if bzip2 or gzip is not
> present. Loss in functionallity, but parts will still work. It more
> critically ceases to function if the kernel or X is not present.

tar will unpack archives without gzip as long as they're not
compressed.  If the Corel front end supports other package formats
than .deb then there's no problem.

Of course, that means that the front end isn't guaranteeing any
kind of administrative database integrity, but that's a fair
compromise.

> > And, once again, I'm going to quote the US law on what this question
> > of "what's contained in Corel's front end":
> >
> >    A "computer program" is a set of statements or instructions to be used
> >    directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain
> >    result.
> >
> > And, once again, my fundamental assertion:  Under copyright law the
> > Corel front end program is a derivative work which modifies dpkg.

> And once again, we point out that your interpretation of that definition
> means that Corel front end is a derivative of the half the system.

Surely nothing more than the essential parts of the system.  And I believe
most of those parts have licenses (or alternative implementations) which
prevent exactly this sort of problem.

However, I'm open to counterexamples.

--
Raul