Re: Corel's apt frontend

From: Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 04:19:06PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Because they have a right to copy dpkg onto their system regardless
> of whether or not any other application uses it, and such copying is
> simple aggregation.

Care to say why you think this?

I'm asserting that it's not simple aggregation because [excuse me
for using emphasis but I've stated this point a number of times
and you seem to be choosing to ignore it]:

	The Corel Front End *ceases* *to* *function* if dpkg is
	not present.

The failure mode is different from leaving out libc, but it's just
as significant.

I'm saying that since dpkg is necessary to produce the result of Corel's
front end, that dpkg is a part of that program for copyright purposes.

And, once again, I'm going to quote the US law on what this question
of "what's contained in Corel's front end":

   A "computer program" is a set of statements or instructions to be used
   directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain
   result.

And, once again, my fundamental assertion:  Under copyright law the
Corel front end program is a derivative work which modifies dpkg.

I understand that this definition of "modifies" is rather technical,
and thus non-intuitive, but I've provided plenty of legal quotes to back
up my position.  Simply asserting that I'm wrong is silly, you need to
show some legal reference which superceeds the material which I've quoted.

Just in case, here's what US law defines as a derivative work:

   A "derivative work" is a work based upon one or more preexisting
   works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization,
   fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art
   reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which
   a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of
   editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications
   which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a
   "derivative work".

--
Raul