Re: SSH never free

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> However, it occurs to me that there may be a way around this.  It
> seems to me that once you make a modified version and rename it, the
> requirement is exhausted.  Further modifications will not require
> repeated renamings.

Ingenious. However, to be on the safe side we'd probably have to
assume that a court would see an implied requirement that the
modified, renamed program is not subsequently renamed back to 'ssh'.

This means that the ssh authors could possibly contest the
redistribution of a renamed ssh which claims that the plain GPL
terms apply.

--
Henning Makholm      "Guldnålen er hvis man har en *bror* som er *datalog*."