Re: SSH never free

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> quotes the ssh-1.2.0 license:

>     Any derived versions of this
>     software must be clearly marked as such, and if the derived work is
>     incompatible with the protocol description in the RFC file, it must be
>     called by a name other than "ssh" or "Secure Shell".

[snip]

>     The GNU Multiple Precision Library, included in this release and
>     linked into the executable, is distributed under the GNU General
>     Public License.  A copy can be found in gmp-1.3.2/COPYING.

Does the GPL allow redistribution of deriviate works under
a license with a "rename if certain changes are made" clause?

If ssh had been under GPL I'd have been able to modify
the protocol it speaks and still call it ssh. Never mind
how sensible or not it would be for me to do that; it
seems that the ssh authors impose a restriction that
wouldn't be there if they'd used vanilla GPL for the
deriviate, such as a naive reading of GPL 2(b) would imply.

--
Henning Makholm                                    "*Vi vil ha wienerbrød!*"