Re: MWPL - Metrowerkz Publick License

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 03:52:22PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> >
> > http://www.sodan.dk/gamecode/mwpl.html
> >
> > I don't see anything immediately non-free in this license. Of course it may
> > have hidden issues and probably conflicts with other existing free licenses,
> > but it in general looks better than the APSL.
> >
> Agreed. In fact, I might release programs under this rather than GPL.
> The only unusual is that you must add a file named LEGAL containing any
> legal issues you know about and if you add any code that is covered by a
> patent you own. I can't see anyone thinking that's not free, but I'll
> mention it anyway.

I've only re-read it once, but I think it has the link-with loophole also
present in the NPL that would allow proprietary software companies to
exploit your Free Software for use in a commercial product by putting the
more substantial changes and improvements into a separate program under a
non-free license and linking it to a slightly modified version of your
program or library, which they distribute source for.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org