Re: UW gave permission for PINE

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 11:14:15AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > UW gave me permission to distribute my amateur pine.debs at
> > http://ompages.com/debian/pkgs/pine/pine.html.
> >
> > I'm curious about the nature of the legal controversy over this app.
>
> Debian is dedicated to free software and it is not in the business of
> asking permission to distribute non-free apps.
>
> Please, do not ask them for this permission *in the name of Debian*.
>
> If you want to do something for Debian with respect to pine, please ask
> them to change the license instead.

Wasn't the license at some point to the effect that changing the source
and distributing bins was okay provided that the changed version was
marked somehow?  If this practice was re-instated and they removed the
non-commercial-only thing which I recall to be present (I may recall
incorrectly) pine would become suitable for main!

Of course if that happened, people might actaully FIX that bloated piece
of excrement and pine may become a decent MUA...  Not that it'll happen,
but hey we might as well try.

PGP: E8D68481E3A8BB778EE22996C9445FBE             The Source Comes First!
To boldly go where no bunch of geeks have gone before :)   --Joel Klecker