Re: Mgetty should be in non-free?

Henning Makholm writes:
> What is the difference between "charge a fee for the physical act of
> transferring a copy" and "sell a copy"?

> I can choose to give you a copy of, say, gcc. I can choose not to. I can
> promise you that I'll choose to give you a copy if you give me money in
> return. Am I not then selling a copy?

You are.  I think that the reason for the phrasing is to make it clear that
you are transferring a copy but not granting a license.  You can charge for
the act of copying and for the physical media, but the copy and the license
attached to it go from the author to the recipient.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)