Re: Zope license

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 01:23:25PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Jules Bean wrote:
> > > Ah.. but we accept (I think) licenses which prohibit the removal of
> > > copyright notices such as the panel.
>
> Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> >
> > This seems to say that if the FSF releases a program that prints out such an
> > announcement, we cannot legally remove that announcement.
>
> Note that, to remove this copyright notice, you need to create a
> derivative work.  Copyright law grants exclusive control of this to the
> copyright holder.

Not true. Try "echo quit|gdb|tail -2 > file". You're free to distribute the
resulting file and you own it.

> If Zope wants their editor to always place a copyright notice in editted
> documents, and they don't want to grant us the right to alter that part
> of the code, they're within their rights -- but, of course, that would
> greatly limit the utility of the editor.

Can't alter the code in Zope, but there's nothing (other than the bogus
clause in the zope license, which is probably unenforcable anyway) that can
prevent you from using another tool to remove the button from the document.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org