Re: Zope license

Jules Bean wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Jules Bean wrote:
> > > Also, we should remember that a web site *can be* an application which is
> > > accessed by remote hosts, so there is no substantiative difference between
> > > requiring the the site have a button at the bottom of each page and simply
> > > producing a program (a stand-alone doc-viewer, designed to have
> > > documentation built into it, perhaps) which has a panel indicating its
> > > copyright and credits at the bottom of each window.
> >
> > The differnece is that I can modify said application's code to remove the
> > panel, but I cannot legally modify the web site.
>
> Ah.. but we accept (I think) licenses which prohibit the removal of
> copyright notices such as the panel.

I can think of one example of this -- the GPL itself:

    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when
       run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use
       in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement
       including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is
       no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that
       users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and
       telling the user how to view a copy of this License.  (Exception: if
       the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an
       announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print
       an announcement.)

This seems to say that if the FSF releases a program that prints out such an
announcement, we cannot legally remove that announcement.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

--
see shy jo