Re: Zope license

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> I can think of one example of this -- the GPL itself:
>
>     c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when
>        run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use
>        in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement
>        including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is
>        no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that
>        users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and
>        telling the user how to view a copy of this License.  (Exception: if
>        the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an
>        announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print
>        an announcement.)
>
> This seems to say that if the FSF releases a program that prints out such an
> announcement, we cannot legally remove that announcement.

Note that, to remove this copyright notice, you need to create a
derivative work.  Copyright law grants exclusive control of this to the
copyright holder.

If Zope wants their editor to always place a copyright notice in editted
documents, and they don't want to grant us the right to alter that part
of the code, they're within their rights -- but, of course, that would
greatly limit the utility of the editor.

--
Raul