Re: Zope license

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 03:07:00PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > 3) Is it actually possible for a license (as opposed to a signed contract)
> > to restrict use?  My understanding was that copyright law was all about
> > copying.
>
> See the GPL language on this - something like "you haven't signed this
> contract, but you have no other license to copy or use the software.".
>
> IMO you can grant rights while restricting other rights that the user
> would have had _without your grant_. They have the choice of accepting
> your contract or not.

No. The GPL does not place any restrictions on fair use of the material. It
only grants extra rights provided you agree to follow some rules. The GNU
General Public License specifically reads: "Activities other than copying,
distribution and modification are not covered by this License; they are
outside its scope."

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org