Re: Good news: Free Haskell to come out RSN!

Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:

> David Starner:
>
> > No, I don't believe so. Libreadline is GPL and I don't believe it can be
> > linked with the Artistic license.
>
> Gergely Madarasz:
>
> > Hmm... isn't the Artistic licence compatible with GPL ? I thought it
> > was...
>
> Mark Jones and the other HUGS authors are already all set to use the
> Artistic license (by my request that they use a free license).  If this
> gives problems please agree on it *soon* so I can feed it back to them!

I don't believe they are compatable, and a reading of the Artistic
License supports my feeling. OTOH, relying on my analysis would be
foolish, so I've forwarded this to debian-legal. Honestly, the best
answer would come from rms@gnu.org, but I hestitate to bother him.

(For debian-legal: the question is whether libreadline's License (GPL,
IIRC) and the Artistic License are compatable licenses.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"Repent, Harlequin", said the Ticktock man.