Re: Your petition to GPL Qt

john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I neither know nor care just what might or might not be a system lib on
> Solaris or BSDI.

You should.  Otherwise somebody is violating the GPL with all those
Motif based GPL apps.  Wasn't XEMacs linked to Motif years ago.
I.e. Before LessTif was drool on the lip of a "Hungry Programer"

> In order to make QT a Debian GPL system lib we would have to at minimum
> make it a required package so that every Debian user gets it whether he
> wants it or not.  If we did do so and QT remained under a GPL-incompatible
> license, we would then be forbidden by the GPL to include any GPL packages
> that use it in the distribution.

So debian doesn't have any system libraries ?
Logic is you can have LibC or GLibC ( optional ).  Linux or Hurd
(optional).
GCC or EGCS ( optional ).

> The present draft license is "acceptable".

OK.