Re: Your petition to GPL Qt

john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Avus wrote:
> > Unfortunately Debian didn't mention the system library clause and why
> > *they* didn't want to use it (DFSG don't allow non-free libs to be part
> > of the system).
>
> In order for QT to qualify as a Debian system library it would have to be a
> 'required' package, and it would drag in X.  No way are we going to bloat
> the system like that.  The 'system library' idea thus fails for purely
> technical reasons.

X is required for a Desktop system.  In Windows 95 the GUI is not
required
and I happily played quake on a ~1 meg Win95 Installation.  Yet Winlib
is a
required component.  The same goes for all the desktop versions of Unix
where X is required and Motif is a basic system lib.  That is why nobody
ever questioned Gimp-Win32 or the 1.8 gazilion GPLed Motif apps.