Re: Draft new DFSG - r1.4

Milan Zamazal writes:
> This is a question.  You can look on publication which was received
> through the program [SWI-Prolog] as a derived work of some kind.  It can
> be looked in similar way as e.g. output of ray tracer or compiler.

The output of a compiler is not normally considered a derivative of the
compiler.   Especially not a free compiler.

> You can use the program as you like.  Only if you derive some output of
> it and want to distribute it (publish), you must satisfy certain
> conditions (to give credit)

You can use this wordprocessor as you like, but if you publish anything you
write with it you must satisfy certain conditions.  Does that sound like
free software?

> I don't know whether this requirement has bad implications like the
> advertisement clause has.

The advertising clause applies only to distribution.  I don't think the
SWI-Prolog clause was intended to apply to use, but it is not clear that it
doesn't.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)