Re: Draft new DFSG - r1.4

I wrote:
> The advertising clause applies only to distribution.  The SWI clause
> appears to apply to mere use.

> So the SWI clause is actually *more* restrictive! And as others have
> pointed out, the BSD advertising clause only applies if you explicitly
> mention the BSD derived software.

> My point was why is the SWI clause acceptable for free software (as Ian
> seemed to imply), and the BSDish clause not?

I think that Ian and I interpret the clause differently.  He seems to read
it as applying only to distribution.  I suspect that is the intent, but the
wording is so vague that it appears to me to apply to use as well.

> If anybody cares, my opinion is that both are acceptable.

What if I write a system utility in SWI Prolog?  Someone might use it in
their research and not even know that they are using SWI Prolog.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)