Re: [spam subject elided] (fwd)

On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 14:23 -0700, Lou wrote:
> On 12/4/2018 12:14 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > > 2. One disadvantages of "zero spam" in a BB/mail-list with world
> > > wide
> > > members is the high prospect of false positives.  The possibility
> > > of
> > > penalizing a contributor based on their ISP or neighborhood would
> > > be
> > > counter productive.
> >
> > Can you cite an example where a legitimate contributor's email was
> > blocked based on their ISP or neighborhood where 1) the ISP wasn't
> > voluntarily listed in the PBL, and 2) the "neighborhood" was not a
> > known
> > cesspool of spammers?
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> Of course not! Members of any list would not see a blocked
> contributor, and therefor not be in a position to evaluate their
> legitimacy.

So you have no example of anyone other than yourself being blocked,
correct?

> But personally I have been blocked by HotMail, because my host/VSP
> with (un-shared) fixed IP is in a "Bad IP block."  A quick review of
> SpamCop/TALOS spamassassin, and others didn't find a listing for the
> /16 block in question.
> The closest I (or anyone using email at one of the domains I
> manage/host) come to spam is as treasure of a non-profit.  I send
> financial reports to the other board members ~~ one board member has
> a HotMail account. So who knows why my IP was blocked until I
> objected. It is anecdotal, yet a citation you requested.
> But enough clutter.
> Lou

Hotmail/Microsoft are super well known for publishing what it takes to
get email delivered to their user's inboxes.  They are also some of the
most responsive in dealing with deliverability problems (look in the
MailOp archives if you don't believe me).  You setup your JMRP account,
and followed their instructions, in order to be permitted to deliver to
their users, right?

-Jim P.