Re: Installing Debian with only 64mb RAM

 Hi.

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 08:04:10 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:38:40 +0300
> Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> > No. 'Embedded' ends if your RAM exceeds 1M. In that case you really
> > need stripped-down kernel. 64M is plenty as long as you don't run X
> > with all the bells and whistles.
>
> Whose definition of embedded is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system

[CPU] Word lengths vary from 4-bit to 64-bits and beyond, although the
most typical remain 8/16-bit.

Linux's minimum requirement of 32 bits is really pushing the limit of
"embedded".

> Cheap, low end consumer grade
> routers these days usually have at least 4 MB of RAM - and I just
> checked the homepage of the OpenWrt wiki, and noticed a note referring
> to "lower end devices with only 16 MiB RAM". Are you saying that these
> are not considered embedded?

As long as you can install additional software - it's not "embedded".
OpenWrt is the full-blown multipurpose OS. The real "embedded" system
consists of OS kernel and one single userspace program. And that's it.

True, it's considered easier to patch a Linux kernel and write some
PHP-based (end inevitably - full of security holes) "web-application"
to manage a router. Which, along with a router can serve as
file-server, torrent seed-box and brewing a coffee :)
Hence OpenWrt, dd-wrt, and a hundred of their clones.

Good examples of embedded system include (but aren't limited, of
course) Sun's ILOM, HP's BMC or that thing they put instead of OS into
every SIM-card in existence.

Reco