Re: HP Pavillion dv 6000 special keys dead after a couple of updates

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:37:21 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:23:17 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I own an HP Pavillion dv 6000. Anybody who's ever seen a laptop of this
> > line
> > > will understand what I mean by "special keys": A set of touch-sensitive
> > (I'm
> > > not sure how to describe  it, think of a key you can just tap to
> > activate,
> > > you don't need to actually press it, much like a touch - screen monitor)
> > > keys placed above the f1, f2, etc keys whose purpose is mainly to manage
> > > media (open default media player, rewind movie or song and stop/pause
> > movie
> > > or song, among others).

[...]

> > > fresh. The problem maniifests itself in both GNOME and KDE sessions.
> > >
> > > I'm running Debian Squeeze.
> >
> > I don't know any details about the Pavillion special keys, but I would
> > say the first step is to check if pressing these keys leads to keyprees
> > events being detected by "xev" or "acpi_listen".

[...]

> When running xev and pressing the "volume up" button I get:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
>     root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19036286, (665,358), root:(748,450),
>     state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
>     root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19036286, (665,358), root:(748,450),
>     state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False

[...]

> I get similar outputs by pressing other special keys. Unfortunately, I'm not
> familiar with xev and I don't understand this information. What could it
> mean?

It means that these special keys create normal Xorg key events, so it
should be possible to configure them without too much fuss.

> In addition, acpi_listen won't print anything when I press any special
> button, or just any button in general.

OK, fine; the normal keypress events should be enough for your purposes.

The first thing I would try is to install the "hotkeys" package and look
at its documentation. It allows you to define custom events for the
special keys of multimedia keyboards.

--
Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
         Florian   |