Re: HP Pavillion dv 6000 special keys dead after a couple of updates

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:23:17 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I own an HP Pavillion dv 6000. Anybody who's ever seen a laptop of this line
> will understand what I mean by "special keys": A set of touch-sensitive (I'm
> not sure how to describe  it, think of a key you can just tap to activate,
> you don't need to actually press it, much like a touch - screen monitor)
> keys placed above the f1, f2, etc keys whose purpose is mainly to manage
> media (open default media player, rewind movie or song and stop/pause movie
> or song, among others). They also make an annoying noise when one activates
> them, but that doesn't have anything to do with the OS, but more with the
> design choice of the hardware designers.
>
> Normally I wouldn't mind that all of those keys seem to be dead after a
> couple of updates, but I usually manage my volume from the three respective
> keys (volume up, down, and mute) so I'm a little bit concerned because right
> now I'm not able to manage my volume at all. What I mean by "dead" is that
> while I understand that they're not broken (due to the little leds
> underneath being active AND the annoying noise always being there), Debian
> doesn't seem to be able to 'read' them at all. Again I say that this
> behavior has been observed lately, after a couple of general system updates.
> It used to work fine after my first updates, when my system was relatively
> fresh. The problem maniifests itself in both GNOME and KDE sessions.
>
> I'm running Debian Squeeze.

I don't know any details about the Pavillion special keys, but I would
say the first step is to check if pressing these keys leads to keyprees
events being detected by "xev" or "acpi_listen".

--
Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
         Florian   |

When running xev and pressing the "volume up" button I get:

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19036286, (665,358), root:(748,450),
    state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19036286, (665,358), root:(748,450),
    state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

"volume down":

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19072641, (874,39), root:(957,131),
    state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x69, subw 0x0, time 19072644, (874,39), root:(957,131),
    state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I get similar outputs by pressing other special keys. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with xev and I don't understand this information. What could it mean?

In addition, acpi_listen won't print anything when I press any special button, or just any button in general.

Jason