Re: Debian-based system not booting on Dell Inspiron laptop

>> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 13:25 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> When I start the computer, I get the Kubuntu graphic, then it drops
>>> to tty1 and I get a text login. When I log in with my username and
>>> password I get a message that the system is read only.
>>> Other than / no partitions are mounted. As /home is it's own
>>> partition I cannot access my files there.

in grub, pressing 'e' on the default boot entry will let you edit the
boot command line. removing 'quiet' and 'splash' will let you see errors
more clearly.

>>> I then logged in as root (I do have a root password) and tried
>>> running init 5 however that did nothing.
> init 5 runs the scripts in /etc/rc5.d in the order specified, am I
> correct? Wouldn't affect anything that's normally run before init
> starts.

there is no point in trying runlevel 5 unless you explicitly changed the
system to start gdm in runlevel 5 only, instead of the default of 2.

>>> What must I do to diagnose this? Thanks.
> You could compare your boot log with that of debian linux system that
> comes up right and look for clues.
>> Check the error message in the log files

as you are being dropped to tty1 it sounds like the xorg.conf might be
messed up, /var/log/Xorg.0.log or similar will likely contain useful