Re: Debian-based system not booting on Dell Inspiron laptop

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 06:34:13PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I have a two-week old Kubuntu 8.04 installation that is now failing
> > > to boot.
> IIRC, in a "normal" boot process, / is initially mounted read-only then
> remounted rw.
>
> Follows the mounting of other partitions defined in /etc/fstab .. which
> should include /home.

else, likely you've messed up lilo.conf, grub's list or whatever bootloader
you have, to mount on / something else than the intended root partition.
Or your HDD is failing, errors have been detected and only / is mounted,
and stays ro. Try booting from a (Live)CD or a rescue FD/USB disk and
check the HDD and bootloader config.

HTH
--
paolo