Re: ThinkPad CPU 53-60°C

Dallas Hansen wrote:
> I added the "options" line to /etc/modprobe.conf but was getting
> error messages at boot (thinkpad-acpi module doesn't exist) and

It is not a fatal problem.  The module did not exist for you and so
nothing was happening because of that config file line.

> found that, after booting, networking (both wired and wireless) was
> broken and I could no longer mount my fat32 external HD.

What changes were made that caused this to happen?

> I've been forced to reinstall Etch. Unless I can come across very
> clear & precise step-by-step instructions for running & configuring
> the thinkpad-acpi module and installing & configuring the
> tp-fancontrol script I will have to forgo any further tinkering so
> as to avoid breaking my system again.

Etch uses the 2.6.18 kernel.  In 2.6.22 the ibm-acpi module was
renamed to thinkpad-acpi due to the sale of thinkpads from IBM to
Lenovo since thinkpads are not IBM anymore.

In Etch and with any kernel before 2.6.22 the module is ibm-acpi.  In
2.6.22 and later for the current Lenny and Sid it is thinkpad-acpi.

If you change all references for thinkpad-acpi to ibm-acpi you should
be good to go for use on the 2.6.18 kernel in Etch.

Bob