Re: ThinkPad CPU 53-60°C

Hi Dallas,

I'm redirecting this to the list, in case it's useful for someone else.

> Pardon my newbness, but after installing the tp-fancontrol script
> in /usr/bin I get this when I try to run it:
>
> thinkpad:/home/string# tp-fancontrol
> grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> 4270: old priority 0, new priority -10
> > Starting dynamic fan control
> cat: /sys/block/hda/device/model: No such file or directory
> > Shutting down, switching to automatic fan control
> /usr/bin/tp-fancontrol: line 258: /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump: No such file
> or directory

This means that the experimental switch for ibm-acpi isn't on yet. You
need to add this line

options ibm_acpi experimental=1

to /etc/modules.conf, so that it will happen on each reboot.

To get this working before the next reboot, use

modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1

as root.

If you take a look at the link I sent earlier, you'll see a version of
the tp-fancontrol script that's useful as a Debian init script; if you
use that, you then need to make links in the various /etc/rc?.d
directories so that it starts in the runlevels you want.

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, GWQTF RP4GD
Sun Feb  3 19:03:11 GMT 2008