Wireless still broken after fresh install

The network-manager-gnome applet is showing a red circle with a line through it and it will not give me wireless, even though networks are detected in the list. Previously wireless worked flawlessly after installation. I would suspect a hardware issue but I have no trouble using wireless after booting in XP (my emergency partition).

The machine is a ThinkPad T30 2.0ghz with 512mb RAM.